Welcome to the Firearms Licensing Page!
Here you will find information on who the firearms licensing officer is, a list of state approved basic firearms safety courses and how to apply for a firearms identification card or license to carry.
1. Who is the Firearms Licensing Officer?
- Sergeant Paul Westlund is the departments Firearms Licensing Officer and maybe contacted at 781-259-8113.
- In order to apply for a Firearms Identification Card or License to Carry for the first time allnew applicants must first attend the Basic Firearms Safety Course. The course is designed to teach you the principles of how to safely and properly handle and shoot a firearm.
- Please visit the Massachusetts State Police website or click on the following link:
4. What is a Firearms Identification Card and License to Carry?
- A Firearms Identification Cards allows a person to lawfully possess a rifle, shotgun, ammunition or chemical propellant spray.
- A License to Carry allows a person to lawfully possess a handgun.
- If you are a first time applicant you must first attend a basic firearms safety course. Onceyou have completed the course you should contact Sgt. Westlund to set up an appointment.
- If your FID Card or License to Carry are set to expire you must contact Sgt. Westlund to set up an appointment to renew the license.
- Please contact Sgt. Westlund at 781-259-8113.
- If a first time applicant a copy of the basic firearms safety course certificate.
- A picture id such as a drivers license.
- $100 in the form of cash or check.
- Applicants may call the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) at617-660-4722 during normal business hours Monday - Friday between 8:00 am and 6:00pm.
- Date of Birth
- Active License to Carry or FID Number
- Drivers License Number (verification purposes)
- The holder of an FID Card or License to Carry must notify in writing the Licensing Authority of the LTC or FID Card, The Chief of Police of the town to which the holder is moving and the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) within 30 days of such address change.