Senior and Veterans Tax Work-Off Programs

The Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program and the Veterans Tax Work-Off Program places older Lincoln residents and veterans in jobs with Town of Lincoln departments so that they may abate property taxes up to $1500 per year for the Senior Tax work-Off Program and $1000 for the Veterans Tax Work-Off Program. Tax Work-Off Participants work in a wide array of positions requiring a variety of skills. Many positions can be done by those with disabilities and we may be able to provide transportation or arrange to have participants work from home.

The program is coordinated by Merna Morse. You may contact Merna with questions or concerns at or (781) 259-1105.

Who Can Participate?

According to State law, to participate in the Senior Tax Work-Off Program you must be:
  • Age 60 or over
  • A homeowner (must be the homeowner of record)
  • A resident of Lincoln
  • Own and occupy the property for which Lincoln taxes are paid and rebate requested
To participate in the Veterans Tax Work-Off Program you must be:
  • A veteran as defined by Massachusetts state law or the spouse of a veteran who is deceased or who has a service-related disability
  • A homeowner (must be the homeowner of record)
  • A resident of Lincoln
  • Own and occupy the property for which Lincoln taxes are paid and rebate requested

How Do I Apply?

Call the Lincoln Council on Aging at 781-259-8811 for an application. Once you have filled out the application, we will give you a call to either meet with you or let you know that you are on the waiting list, depending on whether space in the program is available. You may download an application by clicking Senior Tax Work-Off Application or Veterans Tax Work-Off Application. Send your completed application to Merna Morse, Tax Work-Off Coordinator, 25 Birchwood, Lincoln, MA 01773.

What Kind of Job Might I Get?

Tax Work-Off Program participants work in a wide variety of jobs, from being receptionists to administrative assistants to managing programs to designing software programs and more. Any department, board or commission may request to have a participant work with them.

How Am I Paid?

Participants have their property taxes abated up to $1,500 (Senior) or $1,000 (Veterans) per fiscal year per household, which is reflected in your property tax bill. Your hours are reimbursed at $12 / hour, the minimum wage. To receive your abatement, you must submit your timesheet to Merna Morse, Work-Off Program Coordinator.

Please note that hours cannot be carried over from year to year.

How Are Participants Matched with Departments, Boards and Commissions?

Eligible applicants are matched with positions based on their skills and interests and the needs of the departments, boards, and commissions. We will meet with you to discuss what positions are available, which interest you, and what adaptations may need to be made should you have a disability. You will then meet with the department to determine if both you and the department feel the match is good.

Will I Have to Pay Taxes on my Property Tax Abatement?

The abatement is considered to be income for federal (including Social Security and Medicare) but not state tax purposes. It may affect your state Circuit Breaker rebate.

Can I Participate Even If I Have a Disability?

Of course! Very few of the positions have physical requirements and some can be done from home. Just let us know what your needs are and we will work with the town departments to accommodate you.