Wetlands Permitting

Obtaining a Wetlands Permit

The Lincoln Conservation Commission is responsible for upholding the MA Wetlands Protection Act and Lincoln’s Wetlands Protection Bylaw and Buffer Zone Regulations. Click here to view the Conservation Commission’s page where you’ll find Commission Member information, and additional meeting information.

Any activity proposed within 100 feet of wetland resource areas (wetlands, ponds, or intermittent streams) or 200 feet from perennial (year-round) streams must be reviewed by the Conservation Commission. The Living with Wetlands brochure (PDF) describes more about the protective zones around ponds, streams and other wetland resources areas in Lincoln. For more details, please review Lincoln Wetlands Protection Bylaw and Buffer Zone Regulations below:

If you are planning a project that involves grading, filling, cutting, or building near a wetland resource area or have questions about which permit you should apply for, please contact the Conservation Department at 781-786-2612. Some important documents are below:

Which wetland permit should I apply for?

One of three wetland permit applications may be required, depending on the nature and scale of the proposed project and its potential impact on the nearby wetland resource.

Abutter Notification

Applicants filing a Notice of Intent or RDA must notify all abutters (any landowner within 300 feet of the property line) by certified mail or Certificate of Mailing. To request a Certified Abutters list from the Assessor’s Office, click here.

  • At the time of filing a wetland’s permit, the Applicant must send each abutter “Lincoln’s Notification to Abutters” form. Please include the exact date & time of the hearing which will be given to you at the time of submission. 

Filing Fees

NOI Applications must contain a DEP Fee Transmittal Form.

The Town of Lincoln has a separate filing fee (from NOIs and RDAs) under the Bylaw. Click here to review these fees.

Recording Information

An Order of Conditions must be recorded at the Middlesex Registry of Deeds (PDF) in Cambridge, or for registered land in the Land Court, no earlier than 10 business days after the issuance of the Order of Conditions by the Conservation Commission along with proof that no appeal of the Order of Conditions has been filed. The Registry fee for recording or registering shall be paid by the owner or applicant. 

Proof of recording this original Order of Conditions must be brought back to the Conservation Commission before the applicant may apply for a Building Permit or commence work on the site.

Closing Out a Permit

NOI's must be "closed out" with a Certificate of Compliance to remove the cloud on the title. Upon completion of your NOI project, you must submit to the Conservation office:

  • WPA Form 8A - Request for Certificate of Compliance - link to external site
  • A signed and stamped as-built plan
  • Letter from the engineer (or landscaper for landscaping only projects) stating that the project was completed in substantial compliance with the approved plans and conditions
  • Other documents as required by your Order of Conditions (wetlands permit) 

Other Wetland Related Laws and Policies

Although not administered by the Conservation Commission, there are two wetland-related zoning laws you should be aware of:

Conservation Commission Policies and Guidelines